cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Staying Sane During Holiday Travel

Internationally Known

Staying Sane During Holiday Travel

I'm sure I'm not the only one who will be doing some travelling in the next couple of weeks.  What do members do to keep their sanity during such a busy travel time?  

6 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: Staying Sane During Holiday Travel

This may sound counterintuitive, but we get to the airport super early. All of the DC area airports have either a Priority Pass Lounge, or a restaurant that accepts Priority Pass and gives us $60 in free food/drinks. So we like to go early, that way we aren't stressed about long lines or traffic. It really helps manage stress (although the free beers might help more...) and then we just get to sit, have a drink, and people watch.

Internationally Known

I agree! Getting to the airport early is key. And maybe having a back up plan if the weather turns ugly and you are delayed or stuck. I've been stuck by rain before and ended up driving from NY to NC in a rental instead of flying.

Internationally Known

We are not traveling this Christmas.  We will be hosting the family, so they have to drive here.  We will have over 30 people at our house so I don’t know if that is keeping my sanity.  Hahahaha!  I think so because of all the people driving from the San Francisco BayArea through our area, a lot will be heading to the Sierras for Christmas, not having to drive is a huge plus for me. 

Internationally Known

I agree about getting to the airport early.    If something is going to go wrong, I don't want it to be my fault!

Internationally Known

Alcohol! No, seriously, I agree with everyone that the early airport thing is the definitely the key. Constantly have to fight with the Mrs. on this one, because she knows I tend to overdo it. But I'd much rather be sitting there for 2 hours at the gate, than unexpectedly hitting a long line and be stressing out through security and running for gates. If driving, I always get the car serviced a week or two before the trip, so I can have time to drive it a few days to make sure the work was done correctly and everything is ok.

Nationally Recognized

Lists! And more lists!!