cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So really?

Nationally Recognized

So really?

So really? we’re allowed to write stories about free breakfasts at chain hotels?? If I wrote a story about every free breakfast I've had, I would have a heck of a lot more stories and points. 

How is this allowed?  I mean, if the free breakfast was extra special I can see why you would write about it and maybe explain WHY it is extra special or different. But after awhile how many extra special free breakfasts at chain hotels can you have? Maybe I can just say it was an extra special breakfast at XX hotel and then repeat the same thing over in about three different ways until I get 100 words. Okay, I’m being sarcastic now. Just been seeing some strange things...  

28 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: So really?

I confess that I have been guilty of this a couple of times. Although I would not want to write a large number of stories about free breakfasts, I have found a few nice surprises while traveling.

For example, I try to stay at Hilton Garden Inn when I can - they offer a great cooked to order hot breakfast. As a Silver Hilton Honors member, I got it for a small fee, but now that I am a Gold member, I can get it for free. I do not plan to write any more stories about regular breakfasts, but if I get upgraded to an executive floor, I might write a story about the breakfast if I think that it would be interesting.

In 2018, I stayed at a Days Inn and the breakfast (and service, and room cleanliness, and everything else) was so unbelievably awful that I there and then decided to give up Wyndham for good (once I finish using my points). I almost wish I had taken a picture of the breakfast and blinky milk to document it.

Internationally Known

I honestly have no issues with those types of stories.  I have written them and may do it again.  As a matter of fact I wrote one about a week ago.  As a Hilton Diamond member the breakfasts are free and sometimes story worthy.  Even  if someone wants to write about a cup of coffee or a doughnut in a out of the way place that’s fine with me.  I go with the flow and if I don’t like it,  I don’t kudo it.  

Nationally Recognized

@belfrybat you provided 10x more detail about your breakfast just in this one reply than the post I saw. The free breakfast story I was talking about was deleted shortly after I posted my message. I have nothing against free breakfast stories in particular…I was just seeing a pattern that was kind of disturbing. I love free breakfasts, and I don’t want to discourage anyone from posting about them. I will take @gefe57 advice and just not like their stories. 

Nationally Recognized

@gefe57, It’s just extremely frustrating when i see someone post 10+ stories in one day talking about not much of anything, it kind of feels like they are taking advantage of the system. I mean, I’m guilty of not having the best stories sometimes, but I have never cranked out 15 in one day. I probably could produce that many stories if I resorted to talking about every airline, hotel and free breakfast I’ve had and then repeated the same sentence three times in different ways without adding new information. Maybe that will become my new strategy, since it seems to be working for them. Okay, I'm done venting. I will just not like their posts. thanks.

Internationally Known

@Trips4me,  I understand what you’re talking about but it’s not worth get frustrated over and it’s ok to vent.  I’ve been venting about the terrible issue I’ve been having with my stories disappearing but then I just keep plugging along.  I am not a very good story writer but I try and that’s all I can expect from others and have them expect from me in return.  Like I said before, if I don’t like the story I won’t give it a Kudo and then I go on to the next story.  Keep plugging along and enjoy the community.  

Internationally Known

@trips4me: Yep, kudos are a powerful tool. Use them wisely and those who don’t take advantage of the system will be rewarded. And as discussed in earlier posts, there are some who like to take but not to give, you will figure them out over time, there are a whole bunch out there. As it happens, some users simply (and unfortunately) don’t have enough stories to receive more kudo love. Max is one kudo per story, if you don’t write, kudos can’t accumulate. I keep track of the kudos I give, just to make sure that I am fair. And as Gefe57 said, if you don’t like a story, don’t kudo it. For all else, this discussion board is a great way to communicate with others. Great to see you actively participating, welcome!

Community Manager

Hi @trips4me  there was a recent blog published about quality community content, click here if you would like to read further.

Community managers put a lot of time and effort into ensuring our site is a productive travel resource for all. We certainly do not approve of these stories either, if you see future content similar please use the abuse button, this alerts our moderation team for review. 

Thank you! 

Nationally Recognized

Thanks Bethany and everyone else for your comments, I will just chill and ignore it or if I see flagrant abuse I will flag it. I do enjoy this community. It has helped me relive my memories from vacations, and also gives me great ideas for future travels. 

Internationally Known

trips4me, i agree about reliving the memories too. Another benefit I've found is that I've learned a lot more, and relearned what I had forgotten when researching info about places we've been to flesh out some background and details to make a decent and informative story. I've found a lot of facts that I didn't know when visiting that i wish I had known at the time to appreciate it more!