cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single Female, Travel....where?

City Slicker

Single Female, Travel....where?

So any suggestions for my next place on my bucket list for a single female , although I love adventure I also like to be safe since I'm on my own?

10 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: Single Female, Travel....where?

I've felt safe no matter where we have traveled as a family of five, but as a single female, I would be comfortable with going to Odda and Bergen Norway, Bruges Belgium, Krakow POland, Venice Italy, Florence Italy, the Rhineland Pfalz area of Germany (southwest of Frankfurt), the Bavaria area of Germany (Munich/Stuttgart/Garmish), Antwerp Belgium. I would go to Rome,  Paris or London by myself, but wouldn't go out by myself at night. 

Internationally Known

Definitely Austria (Vienna and lake region such as Wolfgangsee etc.), Portugal, Azores (amazingly friendly people), Madeira, Copenhagen and Denmark in general, Stockholm, Japan (although a men focussed society, they respect foreigners and crime is basically not existing), Germany: north (like Schleswig-Holstein) and south (Bavaria)...not that the other parts are more dangerous but those might be more impressive, Galapagos islands (you will be safe among animals of all kinds), pretty much all of Asia as long as you don't get entirely drunk or wander around past midnight in dark alleys, how about U.S. states such as beautiful Washington, Oregon, California, Maine, Vermont and surely many other states? In general I would say if you have an open mind and heart and respect for different cultures, you can go nearly everywhere. In addition you will always make new friends on your travels. That's at least my experience. We just stay away from high crime countries like Venezuela or El Salvador.

Internationally Known

I tend to travel alone a lot because I live far away from my family - although as a solo male traveler, so my experience might be very different from yours, especially in locations where women are not respected.

In the USA, I have found most (but not all) State and National Parks to be safe as a solo traveler. I do a lot of hiking in very remote places in the Appalachian Mountains, and I have had FAR more problems with aggressive dogs than with people. BUT, I do stay aware of my surroundings (no looking at cell phone, listening to headphones), and I do carry defensive materials such as pepper spray. In urban areas, I also go into a safe place such as a library, museum, etc if I need to stop and look at maps or get reoriented.

The main things that I have found is that I am generally safe as long as I do not flash a lot of cash or valuables, stay alert and walk confidently, stay out of sketchy neighborhoods, and avoid venturing out at night by myself. Bad Guys, regardless of culture or intent, try to prey on people who are distracted and not aware of their surroundings.

Internationally Known

If you are looking for a beautiful, safe spot in the Caribbean, I highly recommend Grand Cayman. The only danger there is the high prices!

Internationally Known

How about an organized tour such as the ones offered by Globus or Gate 1

City Slicker

Have you tried a cruise?  I travel a lot by myself for my business, so I am comfortable in a lot of places.  However, for those places that are a bit intimidating to travel to alone, I have found that cruises are perfect.  You get the perfect balance of deciding what you want to do when you want to do it (choosing solitude when you want it like curling up with a good book on deck or in a cozy corner) and being able to join a group tour/activity when venturing alone isn't wise.  I just booked a Baltic cruise solo.  St. Petersburg, Russia is one stop and is an example where I will join up on group tours/activities.  Ship excursions include a night at the Russian ballet, sightseeing cruise on the Neva, visit to Peterhof, etc.  In Watermunde, Germany (a quaint seaside village) on same cruise, I signed up for a short walking tour to get a feel for the area, then will spend the day on the waterfront solo.  If cruising is not appealing to you, recent land trips I took alone were to London and Vancouver.  Felt perfectly safe on my own in both places.  Another tip is to choose hotels that have nice executive lounges and have or are close to nice restaurants/pubs.  Then, get up early and explore during the day and spend the evenings close to the hotel.

County Wise

Over the years I have been a solo female traveler to a lot of places: Washington DC, New Orleans, Atlanta, Scottsdale, Dusseldorf, Bratislava, Vienna, and most recently Zurich, Amsterdam and Brussels. In all the European cities that I went, I took the public transportation. In Atlanta and Scottsdale, I rented a car. I enjoyed very much the freedom and flexibility travelling alone and I found it’s very safe.  My tips for a solo traveler are that do your homework before you go, knowing where you want to go and see, how to get there and travel between sites, talk to local people knowing which place you should avoid. Bringing a selfie-stick becomes very handy when you want to take pictures. But of course people are always very helpful and willing to take picture for you. Book a halfday or one day local trip is also a good way to explore more places. Hop-on Hop-off bus in big cities tells stories of the city and brings you to most of the attractions. It's safe, fast, and convenient. Good luck travelling!

Nationally Recognized

I have traveled a lot by myself, and have really only felt unsafe a few times. That said, it takes a little "practice," or more accurately developing reference points that tell you that since you did it before you can do it again. I would highly recommend Costa Rica or Thailand for solo travel destinations, in part because there is so much infrastructure in place for "easy" tourism but also because the people in both places are just really nice. Plus, they are both beautiful places I can imagine going back to again and again. (Disclaimer, I lived in Thailand for 7 months so I might be biased.)

Stately Explorer

I wasn't alone but I travelled to Iceland with one other female and felt very safe. I have also travelled to St. Croix with just women and both times I travelled around in rental cars and never felt uncomfortable. I was in Iceland in June and the fact that the sun never really went down made me feel much safer (and it's one of the safest countries in the world)