cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching for Community Members

Internationally Known

Searching for Community Members

Hi Everyone, 

I have had some difficulty in finding Community Members (actually the locations they have visited, and their experiences).  After many trials and tribulations I have a work-around, but I'm hoping someone knows of a better (faster?) way.

Each of us has posted a story with a short, somewhat unusual title - only by entering this specific story title into the search engine I can pull up the Community Member (every time) - for example 'Unisphere' for Centrifuge41, or 'Fudge, Fudge, Fudge' for Traveler917.  From there, I can click on the Community Member name (link) and access their profile page which leads to their older posted stories and locations (always entertaining, and some great ideas for my future travels!!). 

... Just wondering if anyone has found a faster way?

12 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: Searching for Community Members

What works for me: enter the member's user name in the "search the travel community box", the search won't bring up anything related, but click "users" to right of "posts", usually it will bring up similar but not the correct users information, then retype the user's name in the search box on that page with "users" already underlined, then it'll bring it up everytime.

If they're one of the more active posters, I just look at the leaderboards to find them quickly, they'll usually be near the top. To get to leaderboards, click on "Top Story Contributers" above the top 5 on right of story main page. (you probably already knew that, but not everyone does). Hope that helps Migmatite!

Internationally Known

You can click on "travel stories" on the top of the main page, then on "Top Story Contributors" in the middle right side of the page that pops up which will bring you to the "kudos leaderboard" of the last 30 days...if the author you are looking for is not on that page, you can forward to the next page at the bottom. You can do the same exercise for different time periods (last 7 days, 6 months etc.). This is also a good way to see where you stand in comparison to other contributors. 
You are currently number 14 of the most kudoed contributors over the last 30 days. Well done! Keep the stories coming...

Internationally Known

Ed4000, Thank you!  And such a quick response ... that sounds much better than what I've been doing ....

Internationally Known

LikeTraveling - I'm going to try this one, too.  I had no idea these options were available and I'm looking forward to expanding (and simplifying) how I've been using the site.  Much appreciated!

Internationally Known

Liketraveling, thanks for the tip!  I never knew about that feature.  It is much easier than what I had been doing.  It is also great to see that community members who don't post stories very often kudo so much.  Thanks to you all!

Internationally Known

I usually click on the leaderboard to find people, but thanks for the other tips. I will have to try that.

Per traveler917's comment about community members who don't post many stories giving out so many kudos, yep that's great for them and the person(s) getting the kudos. There is at least one person (if not more) who has written 0 stories this month, yet averages getting at least 50 kudos a day sometimes upwards of 90. They’re in the top 20 for not writing any stories this month. Wow, wish I was so lucky. I guess I have mixed feelings about that. Next month I won’t be writing much because I will be traveling and working more, but I will sign on and give kudos and maybe I will be that lucky! 

Internationally Known

Great tips!

Internationally Known

@trips4me: Although I also find it annoying that someone who does not contribute to this community gets a lot of kudos, it naturally can't last forever. Keep in mind that one post can only be kudoed once in a lifetime by one particular community member. If you don't write, you can't get additional kudoes from the same person (or fake account if there are any).

MarkR867, myself and a few others regularly face the problem that the number of kudoes we can and like to give to one community member is exhausted because he/she does not write enough stories. 

Looking forward to new stories.

Internationally Known

Liketraveling, I get it, It’s just hard to see this when there are many people on page 2 of the leaderboard who get half as many kudos, yet they are actually writing stories. I guess it’s just the nature of this site. No complaints, just an observation. Like I said earlier, I have mixed feelings. We’ll see how it goes next month for me when I won’t be writing many (or any) stories. Maybe I’ll be as lucky as that person.