cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about Guidelines and Terms of Use

Stately Explorer

Re: Stories now require 50 words in the description before posting

A good step in the right direction. Can you also consider daily and/or weekly story limits? Some users monopolize the entire home page pretty frequently by posting multiple stories in one session.

County Wise

I'd like to see more benefits to actually reading and participating in content - that's the way to motivate real communication and stickiness.

County Wise

Thanks Emeritus and MNGuyen,

We'll discuss the limit per time period idea. I'll check with the tech folks on if that can be done. If you filter your stories using your profile information then the home page takeovers are lessened.

I also agree with MNGuyen. We will actively look for ways to reward positive community behaviors that provide value for storytellers and readers alike. We definitely expect to evolve this over time.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Jared

Internationally Known

Glad to see you doing this,I do not have a problem as most of my stories are long, and maybe it will eliminate the stories some people post of pictures they take of places they drive by and  just snap a picture and make up a story on. I do not feel this is appropriate for a travel community.

Highlighted
Internationally Known

This would be great to set a daily or weekly limit.  I just saw someone post over 45 stories in a row in under 20 minutes today on 1/20/2014  and it took up two 3 entire boards!  This cannot be possible. 

That just isnt fun or helpful.. and they have no pictures of themselves whatsoever.

Internationally Known

Re: Abuse

Yes I just posted this in another board again today.  I literrally saw someone post 45 plus stories in under 20 minutes today 1.20.2014.  I don't think this helps anyone - and they aren't even in any of the pictures they are taking.

Internationally Known

And posting a story about each individual ride at Disney World is so much more helpful? :) just kidding. I just reported a poster who was using stock photos and nonsense descriptions, so abuse does occur and we should all try to help out and report it when we see it. But I don't think a posting limit is the way to go. I sometimes write down my stories and select images when I'm offline, which can be for several days (I am currently traveling in Africa), and once I get a stable connection I can then upload many stories in a relatively short period of time (copy & paste from my notes).

Many people here seem obsessed by the number of stories, but the focus must rather be on the content I think. As long as someone produces good quality stories with good (proprietary) photos, their stories should not be rejected, regardless of how many they post. The problem of the initial screen filling with unwanted content should IMO rather be solved by limiting the number of stories displayed per user, or more complicated algorithms like showing stories tailored to each reader, or popular stories or something (think Facebook -- unfortunately, I doubt the current "kudos" system can be used to determine popularity, since it would lead to misuse, and even today a large portion of kudos seem to stem from friends & family or reciprocal kudoing).

As for pictures of yourself; I personally don't feel the need to see the face of some stranger in photos I'm viewing. In fact I'd much prefer a well-composed photo taken with the purpose of capturing a palace, scenery, or whatever, over a photo taken to capture a person while there happens to be some palace or scenery in the background. Or worse yet a selfie. Some people on this site take incredible photos, which really makes me want to experience the place myself!

Just my two cents!

Internationally Known

Thank you for the post!!.. Your response is well described and I like what you are saying!...but I do think Disney has so much to offer in many different pictures!  You can literrally tell a description about everything - If I was traveling there I would want to know these things before I was going!! :) I do like knowing everything about a trip before I go.  It's hard to tell Disney in 1 story because of the so many things there!!  I thought these were very informative and would help out!

Thank you for the comment though!!

County Wise

@kontemplerande: " ...The problem of the initial screen filling with unwanted content should IMO rather be solved by limiting the number of stories displayed per user..."

I couldn't agree more!  I was going to make the same suggestion until I read you had already made it.

This basically what I was thinking as a way to fix this issue...

BarclaySuggestion.jpg

Stately Explorer

It is difficult to police quality and it seems burdensome for Barclays to have to hire people to do that.

Another idea is to restrict the 200 miles per story to the first X stories per week/month. I think this would also influence better quality content since users will only be rewarded for a specific amount of content per month. And reduce the nonsense as only a few stories earn miles per cycle, eliminating the incentive for people to post tons of garbage. Quality over quantity is important and most of the top contributors seem to be engaged in a quantity race, often with myriad mediocre entries about the same city that could instead be consolidated into one great entry.