cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plagiarism

Nationally Recognized

Plagiarism

What do you do if you discover that someone is copying from another website? I'm sad to say that someone is copying and pasting from a site called Placesall.com. I've checked the text and it's word for word, sometimes with sentences reversed and a word or two thrown in. This is unacceptable.  I recognize that not everyone is a writer, but on this forum you don't have to be. You do, however, have to be honest and you should have at least gone to the places you write about and the story should be in your words. I will not give kudos to these stories. 

22 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: Plagiarism

I wish there was a way for you to let us know privately who it is. I would not want to give them kudos as well. I spend a lot of time on my stories and I don't think it is fair to copy and paste from other websites. 

Internationally Known

Ah, I see who you mean. The mods will see this post but it might not hurt to shoot them an email?

Nationally Recognized

I flagged one story and included the url to the original source. I hope they follow up.

Nationally Recognized

@kranzie10 wrote:

I wish there was a way for you to let us know privately who it is. I would not want to give them kudos as well. I spend a lot of time on my stories and I don't think it is fair to copy and paste from other websites. 

If the stories read like travel brochures, with a splash of facts and figures and little or no personal references, they're probably copied outright or cobbled together from several sources. Also, some of the photos have no relationship to the story. 

Internationally Known

I see who you mean after going through the latest batch of stories. Thanks for pointing this out!

Internationally Known

I wish you can let us know who it is. I wouldn't wanna give kudos to people who are doing such a thing.

Community Manager

Hi @glennlaz thank you for your comment, we appreciate your participation in this. A great course of action on this issue is flagging posts you see lacking authenticity. 

If you see any content that violates our site T&C's please use the notifications feature to notify the moderation team. 

Thank you! 

Community Manager

Additionally, please feel free to read over our recent community blog post focused on irrelevant and repetitive content. The blog is intended to serve as a helpful reference point for quality content!

Thanks! 

Nationally Recognized

Search for Copenhagen. It's the first result that comes up at time of writing. I am an educator and really hate plagiarism, but I also put a lot of thought into my stories and what I think others in the community would be interested in and it is really just not cool and jeopardizes a good thing for all of us.