cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Participation miles decreasing as you post more stories beyond 2,000 stories?

Internationally Known

Re: Participation miles decreasing as you post more stories beyond 2,000 stories?

Okay, I see what you mean. Very interesting. I can see why you are refraining from posting stories for now.

Internationally Known

Re: Participation miles decreasing as you post more stories beyond 2,000 stories?

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Botticell, you have certainly been one of the strongest members of the commuity, and I've certainly learned a great deal from your stories. I have no idea what is going on, but hope there will be an explanation that it's another IT glitch. I'd hate to see your voice, and those of other active members, to be quieted.

Internationally Known

What a sad story, Botticelli. I just assume that when Barclays designed the program, they did not expect participants to hit the 2000 mark. Hope they will fix the problem sooner than later as this travel site feels more and more like a real community with people asking questions related to future trips and other topics. It also seems to me that the community is finally getting bigger with new names popping up weekly (although we lost a few active members like Starrysteph01). I will continue to be an avid reader of your stories, very inspiring indeed! Watch out for kudos even if you don’t write new stories. In about 6 months, the entire first page of the leaderboard will take part in your situation which will ultimately impact overall activity. 

Internationally Known

Liketraveling, I agree. My first thought was that Barclays didn't anticipate people reaching 2,000 stories, so there is something in the coding of the site that caps the number of stories at that level.

I've been reading old posts in this forum all the way back to when the site started (it is actualyl rather entertaining), and I haven't found anything about a lifetime limit. 

Botticelli, I really hope this is resolved for you. Having your lifetime miles decrease is not good at all, especially when a limit is not stated anywhere in the terms. Liketraveling is right, most of the active members will reach 2,000 stories shortly, which could dramatically impact this site's overall activity. 

Internationally Known

Thanks for the update Botticelli, this situation is really unfortunate and hopefully will be fixed quickly. I've gone over many of the old discussion boards, and most importantly the "terms and conditions for miles participation" section like many of you guys, and don't see a thing anywhere about a limit.  I see no upside in a limit for Barclay, as it would only serve to decrease participation by the most active, loyal, and productive members, as yourself. Thanks for supporting me as I began 2 years ago, you were one of the members that got me excited to be here, and I knew that someone was listening and appreciated my contributions, as well as giving me valuable travel ideas, not to mention entertaining reading. Please don't throw in the towel like the greatly missed StarrySteph, but I see that you will need to stop writing new stories for now.  I will send an email inquiry about it myself, perhaps there's some strength in numbers. Travel Writers Unite !

Internationally Known

I second Ed's comment there would be little benefit for Barclays to have a random cut off number that would drive off their most talented writers.

This has to be a bug, not a feature...

Internationally Known

"Thanks ALL" for kind words. Well, as I decide not to write stories for at least for sometime, I am doing a bit of reflection.  

When I joined this community back in 2016, I never even imagined that I would reach 2,000 stories mark. Back then, some of the members with 500 stories gave me impression that how can one ever write that many stories? Wow! how can one get 2,500 kudos? Can I ever be able to become even a Nationally Recognized member? All seemed impossible and unreachable milestone to me. It is because I have never been a SNS active person, and my pastime was surfing the internet, reading books, workout, and watching TV shows, etc. 

I am traveling a lot both for work and leisure and I enjoy taking pictures. As I start writing stories, I found a lot of interesting stories from other people and started to involve in the community more and more. Soon, reading stroies and writing my own became my joyful pastime before/after work. As writing/reading stories became a part of my daily routine, I was amazed the progress that I made. 

I started writing with intention that, OK it is my own record and if someone reads it, that is great.... And by writing it, I get miles. I thought although that miles don't seem to be anything significant, at least it is gain not loss. However, the reward for writing stories was unbelievably great and I was able to use piled up miles for travels. When I started it, I never thought I was even able to make any redemption of travel with 10,000 miles. But, now I am at the 2,000 stories mark with more than 20,000 kudos received. The reward was amazing. For this reward, I am "extremly grateful" to the Barclays and community members. 

Speaking of kudos, as I posted in another thread while ago, until sometime in the middle of 2017, people "rarely" gave kudos. If I got "1" kudo, I was happy. If there is a story with more than "2" kudos, it seemed like catching people's attention. Wow, that story should have something amazingly good in it. Then, sometime in 2017, a new memebr in the community (who unfortunatley became inactive afetr a few months) posted in the discussion board "give kudos" campaign. That person was the pioneer and everyone started to kudo each other. I think that person was the one who compeltely changed the vibrance of the community and it was the pivotal moment that made the Barclays Travel Community as interactive and joyful as it can be. 

Again, I am NOT bidding my farewel, but will not write any more stories. No matter how the system is setup and no matter what the manamgement team's response is, I am very grateful about this site, and I would like thank all the members and the Barclays for wonderful reward opportunities. 

Internationally Known

I started following your stories in early 2017 when I was planning my Iceland trip. Really enjoy your travel. Hopefully, we will keep seeing your posts in the future.

Community Manager

Hello everyone!

Thank you for your participation on this thread. @Botticelli  we are sorry about the recent tech issues you're experiencing when publishing stories as your miles total wasn't displaying accurately. We have verified your activity on the backend and all data is being tracked. And, we have worked with our developers to identify the root cause of the issue (yes, it was related to you hitting a max number in certain API calls) and have deployed the fix. 

Congrats on reaching/exceeding 2,000 travel stories, by the way! We believe your information will now display correctly. Please let us know if you have any other concerns or questions. Happy travelling! 

Thanks again,

Bethany