cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Miles Redemption option ! IMPRESSIVE

Internationally Known

Re: New Miles Redemption option ! IMPRESSIVE

I have the basic no fee and I get 1 mile per dollar, 2 on travel and restaurants.  I'm not sure that you can get the no fee card anymore.  I was looking to upgrade my card, and didn't see the no fee as an option. 

Internationally Known

@Kranzie10

You might be right, the no fee arrival card might not be available anymore. Although it is advantageous to get 2 miles per $ spent on the arrival + card compared to just 1 mile per $ on the no fee card, that's a lot of additional spending you have to do to break even.

The annual fee on the arrival + is $ 95, that charge gives you 190 miles (2 miles per $). You need 9,500 miles to offset the charge. That's an additional 9,310 miles. Given that the advantage is just 1 miles per $ spent, that equals $ 9,310.  So in total you have to spend the $ 9,310 plus the $ 95 annual fee = $ 9,405 to break even. (or do I get something wrong here?).

I can't remember the terms of the arrival + card, so I have no idea what other advantages you get with it compared to the no fee card.

I like the fact that with the no fee card you can offset more travel expenses. Train tickets, cable car tickets, airport transportation and such things are usually below $ 100.

Seems to me at first glance that we as arrival + holders have a clear disadvantage over the no fee card holders although we pay for the card. Even if the no fee card would still be available, a switch (or downgrade) would propably not be easy. Assume you would loose accumulated miles as the card number would be different.

Any thoughts? Any official comment?

Community Manager

We are happy to provide additional information, Savvytraveler. The No-Annual Fee Arrival card earns 2x miles for $1.00 spent on travel and dining purchases and 1x for $1.00 spent on all other purchases. There is also a difference in the network benefits as well. The Arrival Plus is a World Elite MasterCard and the No-Annual Fee is a World MasterCard. We hope this information helps. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns. Thank you. ^DJ

Internationally Known

i read somewhere that it was a temporary thing: While they were setting up to make it work to redeem the annual fee (which is under $100) with points, for a short time either accidentally or unavoidably, it became possible to make other sub $100 redemptions too. That was not the plan going forward, and it was fixed so the redemption minimum is again $100, except for the annual fee. If anyone has official information to confirm or contradict this, I'd be glad to know about it.

Internationally Known

@srdshelly2, what you describe seems to be the case. However I will point out that admin BCUS_care stated that the redemption threshold had been lowered on pg 1 of this thread, without qualifying that statement by adding that it would be for a limited time only. Strangely, shortly thereafter the same mod posted info about the threshold being $100. Whatever the case may be, it looks like we are back to Arrival Plus holders being stuck with the higher $100 redemption threshold.

Internationally Known

@liketraveling I can confirm that the regular no fee arrival is still available. My friend recently decided to clise her Barclay American airlines Aviator Card, which has an annual fee. They offered, and she accepted, to downgrade to the no fee Arrival. So if they do it for their AA card, I don't know why they wouldn't do it for the Arrival Plus.

Agreed that it seems that the redemption threshold places Arrival Plus cardholders at a disadvantage compared to no fee Arrival cardholders. On your breakeven analysis, the A+ card gets 2 miles per dollar, so the break even point would be around half of your final figure. Plus there's the 5% redemption rebate to figure in. As has been pointed out by others, there are multiple no fee 2% cash back cards out there, which makes it tougher to justify paying an annual fee for 2 arrival miles per dollar.

Internationally Known

It also seemed like she may have been talking about gift card redemptions, which are not a great way to use points.

Internationally Known

@Stormtroopin2

In my break even analysis I compared the arrival + card with the no fee card. The advantage over the no fee card is just 1 mile/$. Agreed that $ 4,750 spent on the arrival plus card gets you 9,500 miles (2 miles/$), enough to offset the annual fee. But on the no fee card you would still get 4,750 miles for the same amount spent. This increases the break even of the arrival + card over the no fee card.

Whatever, I agree with you that arrival + holders are at a disadvantage regarding redemption opportunities. Would be an incentive to use the arrival + card more often.

Internationally Known

@Liketraveling,

Oh ok I see where you are coming from now. 

Internationally Known

I agree with your observations. It seems the first reply turned out to be incorrect. I too was hopeful the threshhold would be lowered. I am probably not the only one who has another credit card which offers bonuses for travel related purchases. With a threshhold of $100, I tend to use the other card for purchases under $100, of which there are quite a few.