cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Middle name or initial

City Slicker

Middle name or initial

Earlier today, I booked domestic flights for my son and daughter-in-law.  I used only their middle initials, but on their US driver's license, they have their full middle name.  They are worried that this may cause difficulty with TSA at the airport.  I don't think so, but want to know if others have this sort of experience.  Any thoughts?

7 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: Middle name or initial

They should be fine, which airline is this with? I believe there are only one or two airlines that make an issue if the middle name is not on the ticket. One of them was Wow Air, I forgot the other one.

Internationally Known

Over the years I have done my name different ways on plane tickets with no issues.   Since we got our GE I’ve been using our entire name.   

City Slicker

It is United airlnes.  I'm sure they'll be fine, but the daughter-in-law will lose sleep over it.  So, since I'm in the 24 hr cancellation window, I may cancel and rebook using entire name.  It seems like a waste of time, but if I can doit to avoid their angst, I'll do it. 

Thanks for the support, though. 

Internationally Known

With United it is definitely not an issue. I don't even bother writing my middle name when I fly with them. I just flew with them literally two days ago without my middle name:) 

But ye, it shouldn't be too hard to cancel and rebook if she's still nervous. As long as the price is the same still;)

Good Luck!

City Slicker

I was able to call United and they made the change, so all should be well.  Thanks for your response. 

Internationally Known

OK to rebook if it will make them feel better. I don't use my middle name in booking tickets and I fly dozens of times a year. My middle name is on my passport and the initial is on my driver's license. The thing you do need to be careful about is to use legal names, not a nickname or preferred name, in booking. 

City Slicker

thanks for all the replies.  Lost sleep averted!