cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let's Kudo it up!

Internationally Known

Re: Let's Kudo it up!

Here, here!  I joined this community in November 2014 and didn’t pay much attention.  I missed a lot of fun stories and great photos.  I just started posting stories November 1st this year.  I have a lot of catching up to do. Had I only known how lucrative (points wise) it could be I would have started posting stories 4 years ago.  I’m glad I read something about this in one of the points and miles emails I subscribe to.  Anyway, back to the kudos.  Like some of the others, when I open and read a story I just automatically hit the kudo button.  It’s the right thing to do.  

Internationally Known

Let’s bring up an old subject.  I know there is a group of us that love to give kudos and end up in “Kudos Jail, as Ed4000 (I believe it was Ed4000) calleded it.  We also like to receive kudos.  As others have said in this thread, “I open a story, I give kudos.” It’s getting more difficult to live up to that because not everyone takes the time to give they only like to receive.  It doesn’t take long to give a kudo when you open a story.  If you run out of kudos wait a little while and go back to where you left off and start again.  

Nationally Recognized

With most things in life, I'm always of the mind that you should give more than you ever receive. Hence why I'm always in kudos jail. And it does work out to where the more you give, the more you actually receive, just like in the real world. However, with the explosion of stories in the month of December and now January, it's becoming more difficult I feel because you sometimes have users posting like 15 stories at a time that drown out some of the other users. Not that I'm saying there is anything wrong with that but it pushes other stories to the back and thus, they may get missed by most readers.

Sometimes you can be strategic when attempting to remedy this obstacle. For instance, if I find someone's story really interesting, I will leave a comment on the story and that automatically brings the story to the top of the list. Same thing is true if you add a story detail to your own post. That way, if you or someone else just posted a story and it was drowned out by 20 other stories within a matter of minutes to an hour, those are some tips you can take to remedy that. 

Nationally Recognized

@FrankBVazquez wrote:

Do the kudos on comments count on our points total as well? If so, that is really generous of Barclays!

No unfortunately you only get points for kudos received on stories, not on discussion responses. 

Internationally Known

Aesmaily,  I agree with everything you wrote and I like the ideas about adding details to your story or commenting on someone’s story to bring it back to the front.  I try to limit my stories to 5 a day and at that number I still have about 10 or 11 days left each month after reaching 100 stories, except February of course.  Usually if someone floods the page or pages I will be selective about kudos and search back so I can share the “love” with others.  

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Wow, I've never heard that adding details or comments would move a story up. In the feed? I've never seen a story do that in my feed, ever. They just move down as new stories emerge, and never move their position as they go down. Maybe it's the way I have my preferences set or something. And I've never seen one of my own stories move up after doing this either. Anyone else? Maybe I have too many of my options turned off, I turned off a bunch way back when I was getting floods of email notifications about kudos etc. But regardless, I'm curious how this works, I'm probably the only one not seeing it!

Internationally Known

I experimented and added a comment to one of my stories and it didn't move. Maybe it doesn't work on your own stories.  I haven't tried adding a comment yet.  But like you said Ed4000, maybe it's the steeings.  Worth some experimenting. 

Internationally Known

Ed4000, Just left a comment on your last story and so far it hasn't moved.  Maybe it's the settings.

Internationally Known

@gefe57 wrote:

Let’s bring up an old subject.  I know there is a group of us that love to give kudos and end up in “Kudos Jail, as Ed4000 (I believe it was Ed4000) calleded it.  We also like to receive kudos.  As others have said in this thread, “I open a story, I give kudos.” It’s getting more difficult to live up to that because not everyone takes the time to give they only like to receive.  It doesn’t take long to give a kudo when you open a story.  If you run out of kudos wait a little while and go back to where you left off and start again.  

I agree. You would be surprised to see how many "Internationally Known" folks there are that pretty much don't give out kudos period. On the subject of being selective with who you kudo, I definitely take this into account.

There's an easy way to see if a veteran user is far more into receiving than giving: simply look at their "badges" earned in their profile. If they have achieved the rank of "Nationally Recognized" or better but still lack the "100 kudos given" badge, then you know that person just plain isn't into giving kudos. I have even seen some "internationally known" folks who haven't even gotten the lowly "5 kudos given" badge! If you want to make sure you are giving to those who also are givers, it's worth checking out a user's profile badges.

Internationally Known

I do the same thing that Stormtroopin2 does regarding checking badges. At this point, I kind of know who does and does not repay kudos, and it always boggles my mind that you could see your little bell going up and up and not have any desire to repay those people.