cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistencies

Internationally Known

Inconsistencies

I was trying to write a story this morning on Fargo, ND and it said I have already written 5, and I have only written 2. I was just going to let it go, but I have seen other people write 12+ stories on the same city this month — through some glitch or something that apparently lets them bypass the 5 city rule. So, I’m hoping the mods will see this and be kind enought to fix it so I can write 3 more stories on Fargo . Also wondering about states. I believe we can write 5 stories per state? I have written some stories on states, but it won’t let me write any on the state of New York. It says I have already written 5.  Not a huge deal, but I’m hoping the mods can chime in on the inconsistencies. Wondering if anyone else has the same problem or if it’s just me?

15 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: Inconsistencies

I have had that issue also.  I usually just find the nearest city and use it for the story.  The issue I have had with using the State for a story is when I use a County name it comes up on my story as, example, California.  I keep track of the cities and the number of stories per city and sometimes I get that same message when I should have one or two stories left to write.  

Internationally Known

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I think tagging the nearby city seems to be the way to go. I've been seeing a lot of that lately. 

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi @trips4me, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Upon further review, you should be able to post additional stories (totaling five) using the Google Maps city identification. Can you please verify that you are utilizing the location field correctly? The Google Maps will let you choose the city from a suggested pull down menu.

We have also received your emails regarding the other activity you have flagged. Please note, that we allow for five stories in the same city, as identified by the Google Maps text field. This is how we verify the limit not using the actual text in the travel story. If you have any other questions, please let us know. Thank you!

Internationally Known

I typed a reply but it's gone. I will try again later... maybe it will show up.

Internationally Known

Trying to reply again....Thanks for getting back to me! Here are the screenshots of where I select the city and the message I get. For some reason it doesn't like Fargo. It's still not working.  

step 1.jpg

step 2.jpg

Internationally Known

I want to clarify the second part of your comment. You say we are allowed five stories in the same city, as "identified by Google Maps text field." So if Google Maps has multiple listings for the same city, are we allowed to write more than 5 for that city, since technically Google has them in the Drop down menu. For example if Google Maps has multiple listings for "San Diego", does that mean I can write more than 5 stories on San Diego? Some cities it appears you can write 20+ stories. I'd like to do that, but want to make sure I get credit before I do.
Internationally Known

I'm also curious about this issue. I'm pretty sure it also only tracks the original tag you put in the story - for instance, a couple of times, I've gone back to revise more accurately where I was, and I think I may have accidentally done myself a disservice, because then I got the message about having hit 5 stories on a later story. (In other words, say I had 5 stories about a place, and I revised one to closer reflect where it actually took place, which can simply be a function of Google Map's changing options, especially in more rural areas; but then later, if I went to put what should then be a 5th story, the system has already counted 5 stories and says I'm at my limit.)

Meanwhile, like trips4me, I'm also seeing some stories bypass the 5 city rule. I have plenty of stories about NYC, for instance, and I'm capped at 5 while I see other users' stories going beyond that.

Internationally Known

I had instances where I realized that google maps differs quite a bit from reality or even a GPS system in your car. That can have an impact on the 5 count rule.

An example is Tallinn in Estonia. In reality by everyone only referred to as Tallinn but never as Tallinn City, not even on maps, Google gives you the option “Tallinn City” and “Tallin”. I only realized this after I hit the 5 stories per location rule. We went to a museum in the town of Haabersti, about 15 minutes outside of Tallinn. It is a separate town but apparently is within the county limits of Tallinn and therefore shows up as Tallinn in the story. 

This might explain why you sometimes see more than 5 stories per location. I saw some folks successfully writing a ton of stories about NYC. I used to live there and could write so much more than 5 stories but have not found the way. Guess sometimes it works, other times it won’t... 

Internationally Known

Basically, I just wanted to know if I should kudo & join the people writing 20+ stories on the same city or flag them?? Since they do it several months in a row, I’m going to assume they get miles for it, or they wouldn’t keep doing it. Plus they are getting a ton of kudos, so they are basically getting double rewarded. If they are getting $300+ a month for this method of story writing, I think we should all know about it and do it too, because it’s definitely a lot easier and lucrative. Since others are doing it, I plan to do it too as it appears to be acceptable, if not, I'm sure they will let us know otherwise.