cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chaperone for the Elderly/Sick For Air Travel?

City Slicker

Chaperone for the Elderly/Sick For Air Travel?

Hi!

So I've been wondering about this for a while and I didn't know where to ask and I thought that this would be a great forum to ask.

My dad is eighty seven and in the boonies in Oregon. I am working on moving him to the east coast. Typically, it is a small flight to San Francisco, then a big plane eastward.

I am not comfortable having him go alone. He's old and not particularly healthy. I'm disabled so I couldn't go out there myself. If we're together and he fell, I wouldn't be able to help him.

Are there people who travel as companions for situations like this?

7 Replies
County Wise

Re: Chaperone for the Elderly/Sick For Air Travel?

I have not used them but this may help. 

http://www.flyingcompanions.com/

City Slicker

Thanks for that! It's exactly what I was looking for, in theory at least.

Of course it comes to feasability and cost...

City Slicker

Well I didn't think it would have been THAT expensive. I emailed them, briefly explained the scenario. I said we'd want a companion from OTH to PHL.  

Their response, verbatim:

"Including your father's one-way airfare, ground transportation and the companions airfares and all the incidentals for the companion you should probably anticipate between $3500 to $5000 for the complete service. Of course, once we obtain more details, we can provide you an exact quote." 

County Wise

As I said, I never used them but its good for others to know either way. Heck at those prices I would offer to do it for half that price!  :)

Good luck!

City Slicker

Don't offer so quickly!

You'd have to fly from wherever you are to OTH, from there to PHL (usually through SFO) with my dad and hope there's no issues, then go from PHL back home...

All that on fairly short notice.

I'm not disputing a cost, but I didn't think it would be that much...

City Slicker

I finally got around to calling United directly. They're they only airlines that flies where my dad is...

The rep in their Customers with Disabilities section said that at their meetings for a long time they've been talking about this type of service, like the service for unaccompanied minors, but never made anything of it.

I was directed to United Signature Service. I've been flying with United for over twenty years. I've never heard of it. http://united.globalairportconcierge.com

The very friendly rep their said that their Connection Service is what I need. A conceierge would meet my dad at the jet bridge and stay with him until boards his next plane. This would also grant him access to the United Club, and all that entails, and it should cost about two hundred and fifty dollars.

$250! That's a heck of a lot lot cheaper than a round trip just to make sure he doesn't get lost switching planes...

County Wise

Good info, thanks for sharing and good luck!