cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caribbean Cruise Tips and Tricks

City Slicker

Caribbean Cruise Tips and Tricks

Hi everyone!  

My family and I have booked an Eastern Caribbean Cruise for one week for late August 2017.  We sail from Miami to San Juan, Puerto Rico to St. Thomas to St. Maarten and the back to Miami.  I'd love to hear any and all tips and tricks for a first time cruiser and especially if you have any insights on what to see and what to eat at any of our stops along the way!

Thanks so much!

1 Reply
County Wise

Re: Caribbean Cruise Tips and Tricks

How exciting! These are three great ports.

First, in Puerto Rico, you will not want to miss Old San Juan. This is such a quaint little area filled with art galleries and cafes. If you have time, you may also want to take a tour of El Morro, the 400-year-old fort that gaurded the city of San Juan from the British, the Dutch, and even from the US in theSpanish-American War.

There are NO BAD VIEWS in St. Thomas. I personally like the SkyRide to Paradise Point, which is in close proximity to the Cruise Ship port. It's a short ride up the mountain in a gondola and you will have the opportunity to sample a "Bushwacker" (a fabulous alcoholic drink with Bailey's, rum, vodka, Kahlua and more) when you reach the top. Also in St. Thomas: great shopping. I bought a beautiful ring at Cardow's very inexpensively. It was appraised for 5x what I paid when I returned home. Another great trip (if you're not married to spending time in St. Thomas) is take a ride over to St. John for snorkeling in Trunk Bay. This is the most beautiful beach I've ever seen, hand down.

If you enjoy adventure, I highly recommend the Rhino Safari in St. Maarten/St. Martin. We were able to book this as an excursion on Royal Caribbean. A cross between an inflatable boat and a jetski, Rhino Riders go up to 40mph with no fear of flipping, and are safe and easy to operate. They hold one or two people. The full trip lasted about 2-1/2 hours and included a trip along the coast and a stop at Happy Beach (clothing optional) for snorkeling and a little rest. If you prefer to sit on the beach, Orient Beach is nice. Parts of this beach are also clothing optional. Just good to know in advance! :-)

Have a GREAT time on your cruise! I'm tremendously jealous...