cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C'mon Fess Up!

Internationally Known

Re: C'mon Fess Up!

@BelfryBat,  ahh Mr. Bat, and now we know.......the rest of the story! A community mystery, finally brought to light. You're welcome everyone!

Internationally Known

@ kranzie10 @Liketraveling

Glad to see so many of us old AOL veterans still alive and kicking. I tried for a long time to avoid succumbing to AOL's large corporate onslaught, being somewhat a fan of the underdog. But my time with Compuserve, Prodigy, and Netscape was as shortlived as they were. So I ended up in the clutches of the evil empire, and cursing them every time I would sneek to the computer in the dead of night to check email, and forget to turn down the volume as that d&^mn "YOU'VE GOT MAIL" blasted across the house. ;)

Internationally Known

Well Twoblue, I have to say I'm disappointed... Everytime I saw your screen name I'd hear that sweet refrain of Madonna's "True Blue"...'it's gonna be True Blue, Baby, I love you".  Ahhh, the 80's....

Internationally Known

HaHaHa!  Ed, my birthday is Dec 2.  Yep, old guys rule.  So did you Putin your retirement papers yet?  I have some fun T-shirts.  One of them says, I tried to retire but now I work for my wife.  I get a lot of comments about the shirt I got in Bar Harbor, it says, l’m retired, leave me alone.  I had many people ask me where I got that one.  

Internationally Known

I think there are a lot of us here that once upon a time had AOL.  That old dial up sure made a lot of noise.

Internationally Known

I guess if I had to change my screen name I’d probably use Rocketman in the configuration.  I’m a huge Elton John fan.  When we were still in school decades ago we used to ride around in my high school buddy’s 1950 Chevy pickup blasting Elton on the 8 track.  

Internationally Known

Jeff, I might have to fight you for Rocketman, always a big fan myself. Wore out more than one copy of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road on the turntable. But given your line of (previous) work, I'd probably lose quick. So I might take the name of his sidekick "Bernie", lol... r.e. retirement, I can't believe it, but I actually did! Last week, after 34 years, hoisted the old 2 week notice (would have been more, but it's a long story). So next week I'll be packing to join my wife in Seattle where she's doing a travel nurse contract. Going to drive out there by myself, just me and our dog and the open road. Can't wait. I need to see if I can get the old cassette player going. After her contract is up in Jan. we'll spend a week or 4 driving back, and since it's January we'll probably avoid the mountains and just go south and hook a left somewhere around your neck of the woods. Maybe we could share a beer and have an old fart t-shirt competition. My employees jumped the gun and gave me a mug today, so I'm getting my collection started...

Internationally Known

Congrats!  Remember the expression I mentioned earlier, Every day is Saturday.  

If you head head south from Seattle and then go east around Sacramento (about 30-40 minutes from me) you will still have the Sierras and Donner Pass to go over.  If the weather is nice it is an absolutely beautiful drive between Auburn and Reno.   

Ed, remember I’m part bionic man now with my new titanium hip.  HaHaHa!  I won’t be changing my screen name so I would be honored if you used Rocketman.  I currently have two copies of Yellow Brick Road on vinyl and most of Elton’s albums.  I even have a Bernie Taupin album I found years ago, it is mostly reading of lyrics and poems if I remember correctly.  

It it would be cool to meet somewhere if it worked out.  I could take you to see the CHP Academy Museum, easier to get in with someone that has the right entrance ticket.  HaHaHa!  Keep me posted if that sounds like something you might like to do if it works out.  Sacramento is right on your way if you take I-5 south.  I guess we could communicate through here for now.

Internationally Known

That would be awesome Jeff! Hope we can pull it off. I feel much better remembering about your hip, now it would be a fairer fight since I could possibly outrun you, lol. Anyways, yeah I forgot your location, I just remembered you going north for your brother's funeral, and was thinking you were further south. My thoughts were that depending on weather, we'd head closer to LA then cut through the desert towards Phoenix, staying south of any snow. But if the weather is good, I'd rather head across to Reno as you mentioned, then maybe to the north rim of the canyon, and southern Utah & Colorado. I'll keep you posted -  my employer is trying to keep me working a bit longer, so today it appears I might end up staying a few more days/weeks if they make it worth my while......to be continued.....

Internationally Known

Ed,  we’ll keep in contact through here for now.  Hopefully we can pull it off.  

As for extending your your retirement day you’re just looking at a brief time frame. It’ll come before you know it.  I couldn’t believe 32 years had passed so quickly for me and last month I hit my 4th year of retirement.  It’s a quick ride, hold on. 😁