cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C'mon Fess Up!

Internationally Known

C'mon Fess Up!

I thought it'd be fun to ask you folks to tell us about how you came up with your screen name. Where it came from, what it relates to, you know, what does it MEAN?? lol. There's some pretty intriguing ones out there, that I'd be curious to know the background on if anyone's interested. But if you're like one of those secretive and mysterious travelers, or it's embarrassing, just move along. ;)

So I'll start:  About a hundred years ago in the early 90's when pc's and the internet were just getting off the starting block, I upgraded my first pc that ran DOS and had like 0.5mb of ram or something to a brand new, like $1200 Intel 286 based screamer made by some defunct old pc manufacturer (it'll come to me later), advertised in the old "Computer Shopper", a massive and wondrous catalog to browse. So the pc was called a "Fortiva 4000". About then email was starting and I had to pick an email address on good old AOL after installing it off the old floppy disk. so I was sitting there, and without a clue I casually typed in Ed4000....and the rest is history. Funny how those quick little decisions stick with you for the rest of your life... in more ways than one, lol. 

Next?.....

39 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: C'mon Fess Up!

My favorite number was 33 because of Patrick Ewing and Larry Bird.

Anytime I typed Oliver33 it was taken, so I made it Oliver033 because it still repesents my favorite number and no one was doing that at the time :)

Internationally Known

That's a tough one for me to reveal... LOL

Internationally Known

Lol, love it! Hadn't thought about those guys in a while. Def worth a kudo, 'cept I'm stuck in the jail! See? Isn't this fun? Next?

Internationally Known

I understand your quest for privacy Liketraveling ;), ok so maybe some background on the Tiki? You just trying to look tough? :))

Internationally Known

Back in the day, I was making my AOL IM account and I tried to use “markr” which is my first name and my last initial. Unsuprisingly, it was taken, so AOL randomly generated numbers at the end. It just stuck, I guess. I wish I had a better story 😂

Internationally Known

Well mine is fairly easy.  When I was studying Spanish and visiting Mexico a lot with my best friend, who happened to be the one that got me into Spanish, we asked a Mexican friend if there was a word for “Jeff” in Spanish.  There is not but our friend suggested “Jefe” which means boss.  I tried using jefe57 but to my disbelief it was taken.  Now in Spanish the letters j and g have the same sound before the letter e, so I tried gefe57 and it worked.  I used my birth year of 57, yep, I’ll be 62 in December.  Matter of fact we will be in Hawaii on my birthday this year and visiting the Polynesian Cultural Center that day.  That is how I came up with my screen name and the main part of my email address.  The problem I have now is I haven’t been using my Spanish so I’m forgetting a lot of it.  I usually got a good laugh when someone asked me my name in Spanish, I would tell them there isn’t a word for my name in Spanish (No hay una palabra para mi nombre en Espanol) but my friends call me Jefe (pero mis amigo me llaman Jefe).  But I’m not the boss (pero no soy el jefe).  “And that’s all I have to say about that” (thanks Forrest).

Internationally Known

Good one Ed!

Internationally Known

I knew I wanted to have a screen name that was original, clever, unforgettable, outstanding, attention-getter, smart, bright, intelligent, quick, shrewd, ingenious, cunning, sharp, keen, astute, witty, quick-witted, sharp, classy, quick-thinking, amusing, scintillating, inventive, resourceful, original, talented, gifted, apt, facile, glib, precocious, brainy, sharp as a tack, quick on the uptake, etc., etc., so I tried Ed4000 and it was taken, then Liketraveling, taken, Gefe57, taken, Oliver033, taken, Markr867, taken.

In the end, I settled for RjeanR

RJean
Internationally Known

Similar to Liketraveling, mine is pretty self explanatory. 

I'd give you all kudos but I'm in kudo jail too!