cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Be careful who you kudo

Internationally Known

Re: Be careful who you kudo

I try very hard to give people the benefit of the doubt. I know that not everybody is a natural-born writer. In addition, not every story is going to be a grand slam home run. I am sure that a few of my stories of probably just been marginally okay at best - and perhaps only of interest to people who share some of my hobbies.

That aside, when there is serious abuse, such as Copyright Violations or a computer-generated Kudos Mill, it harms everybody who tries to make a great effort to create quality content.

Many of us use this travel community for inspiration and trip planning purposes. Furthermore, many of us use it to subsidise our travel - paid for with our Barclay cards. Then, we get to inspire others. Thus, I do not want to see this wonderful opportunity become endangered due to abuse.

Barclays has given us a wonderful opportunity and resource with this travel community. Getting to use it is a privilege for which I am most thankful.

Thank you to the moderators for all that you do to keep this community operating.

Internationally Known

BelfryBat,  I agree.  I’m a terrible writer.  When I was working I used a totally different writing style that was far from proper English.  I will never be critical of anyone about their writing, unless it’s just plain nonsense and repetitive.  Thankfully I haven’t seen anymore of the copied pictures and narratives like we were seeing not very long ago.  The moderators have their hands full and do a great job.  I also understand their reluctance to take actions some times.  They too are giving the benefit of the doubt.  Like the old saying, “The tie goes to the runner.”  I don’t watch baseball, is that even true anymore?  Don’t they use instant replay in baseball now too?  HaHaHa!  By the way I’ve been enjoying your stories about El Paso/Juarez and surrounding areas.  

Internationally Known

Belfrybat, I agree that serious abuse, such as copyright violations & computer kudo mills harm us all. There is also another level of abuse called duplicate content. Maybe not as serious, but still harmful. What Gefe57 and I saw was duplication gone wild. Writing one story and using it 3 times in a row is pretty bold. ( they did change ONE word on the 3rd story.) However, the real zinger, is their other story which should be used as an example of why people should pay attention before they kudo. What they did can easily be missed by mods or anyone just opening quickly and kudoing. But actually read the story beyond the first 30 words. And you’ll see it’s just duplicated and duplicated. And the details— duplicated again. it’s just plain 100% in violation of the terms and not just a mistake. They did throw in two good stories out of their 6 and managed to score a bunch of kudos.  

Also, when I see a post about a building that I have been to and the photo is not of that building it’s frustrating. I could give the benefit of the doubt that it was a mistake, except they used it 3-4 other times with other stories.  So nope. No kudos for that person, until they go back and fix the stuff that’s wrong.

Then there’s the person who has been using the exact same 10 details on the last 50+ stories, except I never really looked that closely, before I kudo’d. They have stopped and they no longer do that. Abuse or mistake? idk. up to you if you want to give them the benefit of the doubt. Either way it was still in violation of the terms and they just scored a lot of points for copying and pasting. 

It must get confusing for the mods when they are getting multiple flags on stuff. Especially when it all happens at once. I do appreciate their work and need to be more patient. My main point of this post was to tell everyone to keep an eye out for this kind of stuff. For some reason this week seemed to be a bit more crazy than usual.  Of course, everyone has their own level of tolerance for this kind of stuff, so it’s up to you if you want to flag it. 

Have a good weekend everyone! 

Gefe57, hope you heal up fast, so you can get back at writing stories!

Internationally Known

Hi all. Apparently I did not see those stories that were purely repetitive content. I am a couple days behind on my reading and kudos.

I'm glad that people are enjoying my stories on El Paso-Juarez. I am hoping to make a trip to far south Texas (Brownsville) this spring. It is not for certain yet, but if I make it down there I will definitely write some stories about it.

Internationally Known

Thanks again for the well wishes.  I have never had anything like tyhis done before.  I went from walking 5-6 miles every morning to hip replacement.  Maybe I wore it out.  Hahahaha!  That's my plan.  The good thing is I can use my laptop anywhere, the bad news is I have to wait for my head to clear so "I" don't write nonsense.  Hahahahaha!

Nationally Recognized

Sad to see people doing this sort of thing. It’s those that will ruin it for the rest of us. This community is a wonderful resource and I’d hate to lose it over people like that. I know not all of my stories are the greatest, but I do my best to not just churn out 100 words with a picture and call it a day, and I appreciate those who do the same! But even sticking to the minimum is OK as long as it is actually a story and not just a bunch of gibberish and repetition.

Nationally Recognized

@Ihpie10 wrote:

I guess I need to start paying better attention!  I definitely have people I follow because I love their content, but I will start looking a little more closely at unfamiliar accounts.  I love this site for travel ideas!

Is there a way to actually follow people and subscribe to see their stories? If so, how do you do that? I have several people I’d like to follow! 

County Wise

I'm new to the online community. How do you find out who has given you Kudo's?  When I look at my summary it only lists the most recent name, and then says the number total kudos but doesnt give specific names.  I would like to retrun the kudos but seem to be missing out on somehting.

Internationally Known

When you see the red numbers on the bell click on the bell and it tells you who gave you the kudos

Internationally Known

@dallasp92, good question. I was wondering that too.